Friday, June 26, 2009

Following the Dream

Last week, my husband started the police academy at a local college. This is something he has talked about for years, like every year that I've known him. That's a long time to want something and not get it. Would it have been better for him to try this career change out when he was younger? Yeah, probably, but life always seemed to get in the way.

This hasn't really been a secret. I just haven't broad casted that he would be starting. The application process took a few months. And what with an interview and a physical fitness test, I wanted to be sure he got through the admissions before announcing it to the world.

We knew there would be some people who thought it was a bad idea, a waste of money, a waste of time, just plain stupid. Yes, he is older than the average student and yes, the employment prospects right now aren't so great. But, I'm an older student too and there are no jobs for midwives in this area either, if you know what I mean.

I wish he had really pushed to do this years ago, because he could have been enjoying his career, instead of just going to work everyday, you know? But, he's doing it now. He didn't just listen to the naysayers and give up on his dream.

He will be 37 when he finishes the program. Yeah, a little older for a new recruit, but you know what? I have wanted to be a midwife for years. I could have started on this career path a long time ago, but I didn't. I'll be 37 when I graduate. So who am I to quash his dream?

I am really proud of him for getting all the paperwork done, scheduling a physical, taking the PT test, making arrangements for the kids so he could go interview....all without any help from me. He took the initiative to do this all on his own, which shows me how important the dream is to him.

2 comments:

Sarah in MT said...

If you don't try it, you'll never know. Kudos for making the effort and good luck to him!

Ang said...

You never want to live your life wondering..why didn't I follow my dream? I say BRAVO to the both of you!!!