Wednesday, July 15, 2009

400!


Can you believe it? I've hit 400 posts! Pretty cool considering in the early days I posted about once a month. To celebrate, I'm going to stop spending money. I know, you're thinking what in the H E double hockey sticks are you talking about, Carla?

If you go to Small Notebook you'll see what I'm talking about. Every July, their family of three vows to stick to a budget of $250 for the whole month. This is non essential spending we're talking about, including

  • groceries

  • gas

  • entertainment

  • dining out

  • household items

  • clothing

I know, some would venture to say that groceries are essential and I wouldn't disagree with you, but the point is to limit your spending. Could you save money by not eating steak three times a week? You betcha. (Sorry for channeling Sarah P)

Of course, it's July 15, so we are jumping on the savings train a little late in the game. I had thought about it at the end of June, but to be honest, I just didn't think we could do it. We're not big spenders, but I like to spend money when I want to without having to think too hard about it. But since starting Dave Ramsey's TMM plan, I've realized that I like to save money and pay off debt even more.

So, starting tomorrow we will attempt to stick to a budget of $250 for the rest of July. Hold on a second, Carla. $250?!?! That is their budget for the whole month. You're cheating.

Hey, pay attention. I said "their family of three", meaning Mom, Dad, and one kid. Dude, we've got 5 kids. Our family is over twice their size, hence twice the budget. And considering that I spend at least $250 just on groceries every two weeks, when I'm not stocking up and there is a good sale, not including the side trips for more milk and bread, I still think this will be a challenge. How's that for a run on sentence?

Good thing I went out and bought cat food last night at 11pm. Hehehe. And found 100 diapers on cheap*cycle for $10! Score!

Unfortunately, I think I only have a half a tank of gas, a half a loaf of bread, and 2 gallons of milk left. We could always peanut butter and jelly on hot dog buns right? I've got plenty of those.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi there ...

Oh, my goodness, your children are adorable!

Just wanted to say thanks for following my blog!

Lumpy said...

Yeah right, you know it is impossible for a democrat to NOT spend money like it grows on trees.

Ang said...

PB&J on hotdog buns are fun! Who says bread must always be square.