Thursday, October 14, 2010

Where to start

So, the last week of September, I took a road trip with my sis and visited this little slice of heaven,
Where we stayed here
And had this view.
We took in a little swimming
(that's the only picture of Krista at the beach, by the way)
Stuck our toes in the water
our asses in the sand
Had not a worry in the world 
And plenty of cold drinks in our hands.  
After a lovely week in New Smyrna Beach, we were sad to bid Florida farewell.
Unfortunately, we didn't make it too far up the road. My van decided Florida was just way too far from home and there was no way it would make it back. So my darling husband called up Grandma to watch the kiddos and drove over 10 hours to come pick us up. Of course, if I hadn't opted to drive my almost 10 yr old, 165,000+ miles little old van to Florida, it wouldn't have broken down. Uh hum.

Anyway, since we were stuck in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, we dropped in for a visit.
This city is home to this lovely lady.  

And this gorgeous park.
Any guesses?  

How 'bout now? 

Isn't this sign a hoot? 

After our visit to the park, we checked out City Market and ogled huge vats of candy. 
I swear I gained another 5 pounds just looking. 
The lighting's not so great, but aren't these totally cool caramel apples?
After stuffing ourselves full of Vinnie Van Go Go's pizza and some Leopold's ice cream, we attempted to walk it off in Colonial park cemetery, which is just a sad place really. So many of the graves have been damaged and are unmarked. The brick wall holds up hundreds of headstones. 


Mrs Eliza wife of George, 23 yrs old
and infant babe

This grave was one of the saddest.
In memory of Elizabeth J Bryan's infant children,
Mary 3 mos, Henry 1 day, Joseph 1 mo, Samuel 5 mos, and Charles 8 mos.
I cannot imagine losing 5 babies in such a short time.
It makes you think, do we have any right to complain? At least our kids are healthy.


A few parting shots of beautiful Savannah.

Oh Savannah, how I heart thee.

4 comments:

Special K said...

I said no bathing suit pics...but I guess I can't fault you for that one. LOL!

Wendy said...

wow, that looks like an awesome vacation minus breaking down! but look what you got out of that...savannah

Wendy said...

Did you ever read (or watch the movie with Kevin Spacy and John Cusack) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? If I were ever to move back down south, it would have to be to Savannah, Georgia :).

Carla said...

Yep, did watch Midnight in the
Garden. It was a bizarre movie but did showcase Savannah. I love Savannah. If only it weren't so expensive.